Water is one of the most powerful forces on the earth. Many property owners underestimate the power of a pool, slab or foundation leak and what that could mean in turns of property damage. Property damage resulting from water damage due to plumbing failures and freezing pipes is the second most common cause of homeowner loss. While freezing pipes may not be as big of a problem in Florida, pool leaks also cause a ton of costly damage to a Florida home owner. That is why it is so important to contact a quality leak detection company if you suspect you have a leak. Suspect a leak in your pool, slab or foundation? Keep these tips in mind.
Swimming Pool Leak Detection:
We recommend the bucket test, which you can read all about here. You can also follow the instructions below.
- Bring the pool water to normal level then fill a 5-gallon bucket with pool water to about two-thirds from the top.
- Place the bucket on the first or second step of the pool. It is important that the bucket is immersed in the pool at least five inches.
- Mark the water level inside the bucket with a permanent marker.
- Shut off the pump and auto fill and mark the pool water level on the outside of the bucket with a permanent marker.
- Turn on the pump and resume normal pool pump operation.
- After 24 hours, compare the two water levels. If the pool water (outside mark) goes down more than the bucket's water level, there is probably a leak. If levels are the same, only evaporation has occurred.
In case of rain, repeat the bucket test. Expect water loss from normal evaporation. Test is invalid after 24 hours.
Slab Leak Detection Tips:
- Check for water on the floors. If you dry an area yet it continues to remain wet, you may have a slab leak.
- Check Your Water Heater Performance. If your water heater is running 24/7 is not a good sign. If your water heater is on all the time this means cold water is coming in all the time, which is a clear sign that you have a water leakage somewhere around the house.
- Check Your Water Meter, All water meters have a dial that spins at a fast rate whenever water is being used on your property. Check your property and make sure that all water faucets, toilet and other appliances that use water are off. Then go to check the meter, if the dial is spinning even though you made sure no water is being used then water is leaking.
Foundation Leak Detection Tips:
Some of the main causes of foundation leaks include poor grading, flooded window wells, weak downspouts and sump pump failure. We recommended that all patios and outdoor landscaping direct water away from foundations to help prevent foundation leaks from occurring. We looking for a foundation leak, use the tips we gave for Slab Leak Detection.
A leak anywhere on your property can be extremely costly and not only damage your property, but also put a dent in your wallet. A leak can cause you as much as $100 a day! If you suspect a leak, don't wait. The damage will only get worst. If you have a question or concern about a pool, slab or foundation leak, call the pro at Aquaman leak detection today!